1) First, tell us about yourself – where you live, your family, and those sorts of details.
I currently live in the sunny state of New Mexico, also known as the Land of Enchantment. But I have lived in Oklahoma, Texas, and Arizona. Right now all of my children are in the same state, but once they finish college who knows where they will end up. AND my oldest daughter is about to give me my first grandbaby. Jack will be here early in November and we are super excited. I can spoil this one
2) How long have you been writing?
I have been writing for a while, but didn’t get real serious until the last five years. Then I started taking classes, attending conferences, judging contests and entering contests. I learned a lot during that time.
3) Do you have a favorite place to write?
I have my desk sitting next to a low window looking over the fishpond by husband made, but my favorite spot is anywhere outside.
4) Why did you decide to write Effie’s Outlaw?
I love all things cowboy and Old West. Some of the back roads we traveled in Arizona made great locations for criminal hideouts, thus the kernel for Effie’s Outlaw was born.
5) Who is your favorite character in your book and why?
Effie is my favorite character because I identify with her inability to keep directions straight. Everyone in my family has the inherent talent to know which way is north but me. My husband has learned to never let me get too far away from him when we are out in the wilderness. Good thing he wants to keep me.
6) How about your least favorite character? What makes them less appealing to you?
That would be Ben, the leader of the gang. He is a smart man who has wasted his life by turning to the criminal side instead of using his mind in better pursuits.
7) Do you proofread/edit your own books or do you get someone to do that for you?
I try my best to self-edit before sending it off the publisher, but since I am so intimately familiar with the story I don’t catch my own mistakes. I do have a couple of people that give it the once over but in the end, the editor always finds something for me to correct.
8) What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I love to be outdoors in the middle of nowhere, hiking, camping or just relaxing in the solitude and silence. If not, I’m usually outside at my house mucking around in the garden, in the kitchen converting my old recipes to gluten-free, or in my sewing room.
9) Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors?
I grew up with a book in my hand, but these days I don’t have as much time to read as I used to. Since purchasing a kindle I can take books with me anywhere and that has allowed me more time. And while I do read tons of romance I have to admit my favorite author is Tolkien. Other than that, the list would be to long.
10) What question do you wish that someone would ask about your book, but nobody has? Write it out here, then answer it.
Where did you get the inspiration for your characters names?
In researching my family tree I found that one of my ancestors, named Alexander did a stint as a U.S. Marshal and that is where I found the name Effie, also.