Sunday, November 24, 2013

Liberty's Torch by Janet McNulty with Interview


Interview

1)      First, tell us about yourself – where  you live, your family, and those sorts of details.

I live in West Virginia with my cat.  I’m not married and have no children.  I have a small house with a decent yard for me to walk around in.  I never liked living in an apartment.  It always seems too cramped for my taste.

2)      How long have  you been writing?

I’ve been writing for about ten years.  I started in high school, but did not seriously start writing until after college.

3)      Do you have a favorite place to write?

I prefer to write in my office.  In there I can minimize the distractions so that I ma able to concentrate.

4)      Why did you decide to write Liberty’s Torch?

I decided to write Liberty’s Torch because I have always liked the dystopian genre and because this is one possible  future I see happening.  We live in a world where there is no privacy and anyone can easily steal your identity.  So I thought, what if we lived in a world where the government thought it had every right to control every aspect of your life.  With modern technology it wouldn’t be difficult for them to do so.
When I came up with the idea of Dana’s character, I decided to take my concerns about privacy and wrap it all in an Orwellian landscape.  I believe that most people like to be left alone to live their life as they see fit.  Dana encompasses that.  She grew up in a world where her actions were controlled, but all she wants is to be left alone.

5)      Who is your favorite character in your book and why?

Karl is my favourite character in the books.  He is a bit crazy, or an eccentric old man who takes a liking to Dana.  Though he is also handy in a fight and a force to be reckoned with.  He is sort of a crazy inventor type who can kick some serious butt if he needs to.

6)      How about your least favorite character?  What makes them less appealing to you?

Colonel Fernau is my least favorite.  He is a sadistic character who will do anything to get what he wants.  HE doesn’t care whom he hurts or what he has to destroy.  He has no moral compass and only cares about his desires.  In fact, he enjoys inflicting pain.

7)      Do you proofread/edit your own books or do you get someone to do that for you?

I do most of my own editing.  Especially the first editing because that is how I can see what works in the book and what doesn’t.  It also allows me to make the necessary changes.  If I have the money, I hire someone to proofread and catch the mistakes that I’ve missed.

8)      What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

I cook.  I love to bake so when I’m not writing I’m usually cooking something in the kitchen.  Usually cookies or cakes.  However, I also like to be outside.  I have a small garden that I tend.  When the weather is nice I will just sit out in the sun for an hour or two.  I spend enough time indoors.

9)      Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors?

I read a lot.  Most of what I read is fantasy, mystery/thrillers, science fiction, or dystopian.
I like George Orwell and his 1984 is a favorite of mine.  But I also like J.R.R. Tolkien and his Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.  I am also a fan of Harry Potter.  Yes, I like harry Potter.  Sometimes I wish my school days were as interesting as his.  But I found the stories fun and enjoyable.

In college I read a lot of Mary Higgens Clark’s book.  She has some good mysteries.

10)   Why did you choose a futuristic setting for your book?

I thought it would be easier to work with.  I didn’t want to do a historical piece and I decided that setting it modern day wouldn’t work very well.  With a futuristic setting I can give Liberty’s Torch a “what if” scenario.  What if Dana’s world became a reality?   It also gives a bit of science fiction flair to it because it allows me to think of the kind of technology that might be used in the future.  Though I didn’t go overboard on that because it’s not the focus of the story.



Title: Liberty’s Torch
Author: Janet McNulty
Genre: YA Dystopian

All it takes is one spark to ignite the flame of liberty.
Six months have passed since Dana and Kenny parted.  Forced to live as a wanderer, Dana discovers a crashed drone and learns of the chaos within Dystopia and what President Klens has planned for the resistance. Realizing that she must go back, Dana acquires the help of a seventy-year-old man and an old friend.  Upon her return, she finds that rebellion is in the air as the government continues to eliminate dissenters.
Forced to disguise herself, Dana searches for the resistance to tell them of President Klens’ plans.  After a few run-ins with the officers and narrow escapes from Colonel Fernau—his obsession with her growing each day—she learns that the people of Dystopia yearn to be free from their oppression.  What they need is a leader.  Knowing that everyone she cares for will never be safe so long as the government reigns supreme, Dana must decide how far she is willing to go achieve freedom.

Excerpt

Dana burst through the brush.  The other man reached for his weapon.
“Drop it,” said Dana pointing her gun at him.
“That gun is empty,” said the man.  “You used both barrels.”
Dana cocked the weapon pointing it at his head.  “You sure about that?”
The stern look on her face unnerved the man.  He dropped his knife and bag.
“Kick it over here,” said Dana.
The man kicked the bag to her.
“Now the both of you get going.”
“Fine.  You can have the runt.”
The second man helped his friend up and carried him away.  They scurried through the brush and away from Dana’s cold exterior.
Once she made sure they had gone, Dana searched the bag for anything of value.  She put any valuables she found into her own.  Kenny coughed.  Dana tossed him a water bottle.  “Drink that.”
“Dana?”
For the first time, Dana looked at Kenny finally realizing who he was.  She threw the bag aside.  “Kenny?”
“Bet you never thought you’d see me again.”
“I had hoped I wouldn’t.”  Her controlled voice hurt Kenny.


Author Bio

Ms. McNulty began writing short stories at an early age. That passion continued through college until she published her first book: Legends Lost: Amborese under the pen name of Nova Rose. Since then she has gone on to publish a mystery series, children's books, and even a dystopian series.
Recently, her grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's causing her to visit her grandparent's and record her grandfather's memoirs before they become lost. The final result is Grandpa's Stories: The 20th Century as My Grandfather Lived It. She did this to preserve her family history before it becomes lost.
Ms. McNulty currently lives in West Virginia where she enjoys hiking, being outside, crocheting, or simply sitting around and doing nothing. She continues writing. She is finishing up her dystopian series (the second book, Tempered Steel, is to be published in August 2013 and the final one, Liberty's Torch, in November 2013).
Books include:
Legends Lost Series: (Published under Nova Rose)
Tesnayr
Amborese
Galdin
The Mellow Summers Series:
Sugar And Spice And Not So Nice
Frogs, Snails, And A Lot Of Wails
An Apple A Day Keeps Murder Away
Three Little Ghosts
Oh Holy Ghost
Where Trouble Roams
Two Ghosts Haunt A Grove
Trick Or Treat...Or Murder
Children's Books:
Mr. Chili's Chili
Mr. Chili Goes To School
Mr. Chili's Halloween
Mr. Chili's Christmas
The Hungry Washing Machine
Mrs. Duck And The Dragon
Rhymes-a-lot
How Do You Catch An Alien
Are You The Monster Under The Bed?
You can learn more about her and her writing at www.legendslosttrilogy.com
Follow her blog: http://booksandlegends.blogspot.com/
 Links
https://twitter.com/JMRUL
http://www.amazon.com/Janet-McNulty/e/B006SMJXFW
https://www.facebook.com/janetmcnultyauthor
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5199153.Janet_McNulty
http://janetmcnulty84.wix.com/authorprofile

No comments:

Post a Comment