Sunday, December 15, 2013

Death of the Mad Hatter by Sarah J Pepper with Interview


Interview

1)      First, tell us about yourself – where  you live, your family, and those sorts of details.

 I claim Platte SD as my hometown. Think of the smallest country town in the middle of nowhere and surround yourself with cows-that's where I grew up.

2)      How long have  you been writing?

 Three years now – have mercy has it been that long already?

3)      Do you have a favorite place to write?

 I can pretty much write anywhere as long as I have my headphones and *yes, it’s stereotypical* my coffee. Coffee is my blissful addiction that I will not apologize for – not even to my doc. I’ll happily swallow my high blood pressure bill with my cup-a-joe.

4)      Why did you decide to write Death of the Mad Hatter?

 Confession time: I HATED Alice and anything to do with Wonderland. *thank you Disney* I watched the movie and was utterly petrified! I'm a choco-halic and the mere thought of growing into a giant all bc I devored a cupcake scared the bejesus out of me! Anyways, I wrote the story based off a photographer’s  pic I saw on FB. Josh Wilcoxon. He actually shot the photo for the book cover too.

5)      Who is your favorite character in your book and why?

 Alice Mae. I’m a little quirky and don’t often see the world as others do.

6)      How about your least favorite character?  What makes them less appealing to you?

 The Joker. He creeps the hell out of me. ***think about that scary clown that has nasty, pointy toys that no kid should play with***

7)      Do you proofread/edit your own books or do you get someone to do that for you?

 Both both both. I have this beautiful annoying “gift” (my built in auto-correct). My brain automatically makes sense of the nonsense I write, sticking in words where they are needed and taking out others. Without a good team of editors, I’d be basically word-pooping on paper and selling it. Behind every good author is a FABULOUS editor. I buy mine chocolates as much as possible.

8)      What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

 Oh anything outside. I’m a bit of an adrenaline junkie. Rock climbing, biking, kayaking, tennis, hunting (you get the picture) I made a bucketlist when I was 20 ***before it was cool*** and add to it all the time.

9)      Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors?

 Not as much as I once did, but as soon as there is a new Sookie Stackhouse novel out, you can bet I’m beating down B&N to get it in my hands. Eric effing Northman? YES PLEASE!

10)   What question do you wish that someone would ask about your book, but nobody has? Write it out here, then answer it.

 Whenever my “characters” are eating in my books, I usually am…. Or am very hungry and wish the keebler Elfs would live in my kitchen and make me cookies.





BLURB FOR DEATH OF THE MAD HATTER:
If the king loses his head, then the Queen with a Bleeding Heart would rule the Red Court until Time ceased to move forward. When a second carried on for infinity, every creature in Wonderland would tip their Hat to the misfit girl with a Boy’s name (or was it a boy with a Girl’s name?) who’d end the Reign of Terror. However, it all hinged on the One-Eyed Hare being able to convince an uninspirable Heir that the impossible was indeed possible—like stopping time—and that Love was worth a Beheading.
Heads would Roll…Hearts would Break…In the end, would it matter who Reigned?  




Excerpt

The Queen of Hearts kissed the King one last time before the Joker ripped his head from her hands and tossed it alongside the rest of his body. The queen’s personal guards picked up the pieces and clumsily carried the dead king out of sight. 
No one spoke. Only the sound of a ticking clock interrupted the stunned silence of the night. Standing next to the pool of blood, the queen let a love-letter the king had written slip through her fingers. 
Appearing out of thin air, a Cheshire kitten, affectionately named Chez, who was distinguished by his white and blue stripes, playfully pawed at the letter. Extending his claws, he shredded it while the queen did nothing. When the Joker bent over and reached for the remaining pieces of the letter, the kitten bit him, drawing blood. Chez’s hair stood on end as he guarded the letter. 
“If you want to play dirty, may I suggest a play date, Chez?” the Joker asked, inspecting the bite mark. His voice was as innocent as a child, but the look in his beady eyes was that of a psychopath’s. “I have all sorts of modified toys collecting dust in the dungeon.”
“Don’t antagonize the Joker, Chez. He is a bit of a schizoid,” Hearts said, picking up the kitten. She stared at the pieces of the love-letter for so long that her eye twitched. “Burn it so that no one finds out that the king loved a seamstress.”
The Joker picked up the pieces and fisted them. The recipient of the letter showed through his fingers: Dearest Genevine— He held his hand up to his mouth and blew. Pieces of the letter flew into the air and burst into flames. They flickered and fell to the floor in a pile of ash. 
“I’m required to scold you for leaving your sharp toys scattered all over, Joker. It’s a pity the king had to pay for your untidiness,” Hearts said, glancing at the guillotine that was drenched in the king’s blood. 
“Then I shall only take out my biggest toys when you order me to do so… again,” the Joker said and winked. “Since this is a hush-hush operation, I assume you don’t want me to kill the seamstress? Oh! Or perhaps she could have a misfortunate accident as well?”
“No, that would be far too coincidental,” the queen said, as a matter-of-factly. “Keep her alive. Isn’t it fitting that she must live, knowing her lover is dead? Oh, and see to it that she never leaves Wonderland. Everything considered, she is still the most talented seamstress in the court, and I’ll need someone sew me a black dress to wear at King Edward’s funeral.”









BIO:

 I specialize in dark, paranormal romance – think “happy ever after” but with a twisted, dark chocolate center. Real-life romance isn't only filled with hugs, kisses, unicorns, and rainbows. True-love can be more thoroughly described in times of darkness and tribulation. It’s in those harsh moments where you see what a person is truly capable of – both the good and bad. Sometimes prince-charming isn't always on time, and the glass slipper is a little snug. However, it doesn't mean Charming is not Mr. Right, and who says every shoe is the perfect fit?




Giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment