Saturday, December 21, 2013

Matt Monroe and The Secret Society by Edward Torba with Interview


Interview

First, tell us about yourself--where you live, your family, and those sort of things.

I was born and raised in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. I am the oldest of seven children. And while I always wanted lots of kids, I never found my mate. I attended the University of Pittsburgh and planned on moving west to Colorado after graduation from dental school; however, I have practiced general dentistry in my hometown of Latrobe for the past 37 years... So much for moving west.

How long have you been writing?

I guess you could say since my college days. But it is in the last five years that I began to write on a regular basis.

Do you have a favorite place to write?

Definitely. I have a large picture window in my family room. My desk and computer look out on a beautiful country scene. This is where I get most of my work done; however, I always carry a small pad with me, so that when a thought hits me, I can write it down.

Why did you decide to write your book, Matt Monroe and the Secret Society?

I love writing for the juvenile age group. Life is still exciting to them, full of wonder and magic. Anything can happen. As far as this specific book, I realized there was next to nothing on dental lore. So I combined my knowledge of dentistry mixed with a little mystery and fantasy, and came up with Matt Monroe and the Secret Society.

Who is your favorite character is the book?

Chad is my favorite character. He is my antithesis. I was always the "careful" kid growing up. Chad is the kind of boy I wished I were. He is ornery and lots of fun, while I was always more serious.

How about your least favorite? What makes them less appealing to you.

Rico is my least favorite character. Every story needs a fall guy and Rico is mine. He represents just about the worst in any child. Rico is the least appealing character because he is a bully. Children change for the better as they mature...some just take longer. Rico is one of those kids that just isn't that nice, and probably will have a hard time reaching maturity.

Do you proof/read/edit your own books or do you get someone to do that or you?

After two drafts, I send my manuscript to a professional editor. I work with him to develop the final draft. Then I send my finished manuscript to a professional proof reader who corrects spelling and punctuation.

What do you like to do when you are not writing?

My big hobby is gardening. I also am a sports enthusiast, and enjoying cycling and working out in the gym.

Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors?

I have to admit that since I started writing, my reading is down. But I love the classics, especially books by Charles Dickens.



Title: Matt Monroe and The Secret Society
Author:  Edward Torba
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy / Mystery

Blurb:

Matt Monroe and The Secret Society is the first book in a series about a fourteen-year-old boy and his friends. In this first installment, Matt puts aside his fears as he travels to a same-time dimension to fulfill a prophecy. The saga begins when Matt finds a set of mysterious wooden tablets and an onyx ring. Soon he and his older brother, along with five friends, find themselves transported to the world of Paragon, where they face numerous obstacles. This is an account of deception and betrayal, mixed with courage and the bonds of friendship. Prepare yourself for an exciting adventure with an extraordinary ending. The second book in the series, Matt Monroe and The Haunted House, continues the story of these courage young teens.

Blurb:

“Hey, guys, did Zach tell you about the animal we saw on the path today?” Matt asked, gathering in his winnings.
            Eric snorted. “Yeah—some lame story about a bear running on its hind legs.”
            “It wasn’t a bear,” Matt said, which got everyone’s attention. Zach’s expression was quizzical as his friend continued. “When I was delivering papers this afternoon, a really tall, furry animal ran across old Doc Payne’s front lawn. I think it was the same one we saw earlier. It looked like Bigfoot.”
            Travis laughed.
            “I’m not kidding you guys,” Matt said, defending himself. “It really looked like Bigfoot.”
            Zach picked up the cards. “That would explain why it was so tall. Wow—what if it was Bigfoot?”
            “That would be so cool,” Eric said.
            They all agreed. Matt looked toward the mountain. What is a Bigfoot creature was wondering around on the ridge?
The boys anted up for the next hand. As Zach reshuffled the cards, a red glow appeared over the ridge. Matt jumped up so quickly that he knocked the bag of chips over. He pointed up.
            “Look—the lights are back!” He quickly reached down and grabbed his can of Mountain Dew and took a big swig.
            Everyone looked up toward the mountains. Sure enough, there it was—a huge red glow.
            Travis stood, staring at the display. “Boy that’s awesome. Looks just like fireworks. And it’s getting bigger.”
            Zach jumped up and grabbed Matt. “No, it’s not getting bigger—it’s getting closer.”
            The red light morphed into a huge pulsating globe, and in seconds it was only a hundred feet away, hovering over the ball field.
            Matt stared wide-eyed at the sinister sphere. His hands shook so uncontrollably he spilled the nearly full can of soda down the front of himself and felt its coldness soak through his cargo shorts. He tried to speak but his tongue stuck to the roof of his dry mouth.
            Directly above, a pulsating red globe hung in the air, defying gravity; a bright beam of white light from the menacing object lit up parts of the field below.
            Matt stood motionless as if hypnotized by the aerial display. The globe zigzagged across the ball field, getting closer and closer to the campfire.
            Someone yelled, “Run, guys! Run for your lives!”


Author Bio

   Edward Torba graduated from the University of Pittsburgh and received a B.S. degree in biology in 1973 and a Doctor of Dental Medicine degree in 1977. He has been a general dentist for more than thirty-six years, practicing in Latrobe [Derry Township], Pennsylvania. His lifelong hobby has been writing. Publications to his credit: The Magic Trip and Boys Club Guide to Youth Football.
            Dr. Torba enjoys travel and reading when he has the time. He also has a great passion for gardening. His favorite author is Charles Dickens; one of his life goals is to pen a best selling novel that would be worthy of Dickens.

Links

No comments:

Post a Comment