JUMP ZONE Recipes
In the book Jump Zone: Cleo Falls, the hero and heroine find themselves trekking for days through the Taiga forest with little to no food supplies, but the wilderness is rich in vegetation and Cleo knows just what to rustle up for dinner.
Dandelions are one of nature’s richest greens. Packed with beta carotene and vitamin A, they are a great source of fiber, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, thiamine and riboflavin.
• Prepare 8 cups of dandelion greens by washing thoroughly and gently tearing into bite-sized chunks
• Assuming you’re not actually stranded in the wilderness without provisions, you can add finely chopped spring onion, wild dill and sliced tomatoes.
• Dress with a mixture of oil, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt and pepper.
• Optional: Throw in some wild blueberries and goat cheese… mmmm!
• If you just so happen to be lost deep in the woods, you can amp up the flavor of the leaves with a handful of pine nuts, wild berries (blueberries, raspberries, gooseberries – whatever is in season), add a few roasted grubs for protein and you’ve got yourself a survival meal.
Campfire Rainbow Trout
• Clean your catch thoroughly. This means beheading and gutting. Yeah, it’s gross, but the fish is going to taste so good, it’s worth it.
• Place on a sheet of foil, season inside and out with sea salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and butter.
• Top with a few lemon slices… or apples or wild berries – it’s all good.
• Wrap tightly in the foil and place it on flat bit of hot embers.
• Turn over the foil packet in 5-8 minutes, depending on the size of the fish. It’s done when the fish is opaque and flaky.
• Stranded-in-the-woods option: No foil? Spear onto a sharp stick and roast it over the open flame. Trust me, if you’re lost and hungry, that fish will be mighty tasty without the garlic and butter!
Jump Zone: Cleo Falls
Author Name: Wylie Snow
Publisher: PG Watkinson
Copyright: PG Watkinson
ISBN-13: 978-0-9919395-2-7 (print)
Release date: September 9, 2013
Genre: New Adult, Dystopian, Romance